Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Advice for labor partner

My mom and I were on the phone all morning talking about the nursery, the shower, labor, pediatricians, everything. I missed her! She was on vacation and working a bunch. She had been asking her friends at work about the lamaze classes and what was helpful about them. They said they thought it was good that it prepared the husband and gave him tips on stuff he can do. I know it is going to be a long day and I am ok with him leaving to eat, spend time with his family, go out and get things I may have forgotten. I'm also ok with him texting people, playing on the computer, or watching tv. I'm such a cool wife!

Today I was researching pediatricians and wanted to see if the hospital website gave any info on if the pediatrician comes to the hospital after I have the baby. I found all kinds of great info! I thought I would share with you all the stuff I found for the Hubbies.

The Labor Partner's Role
•Know the mother's feeling about medications before labor begins.
•Provide the mother with support regardless of the decision she makes.

The experience of being a birth partner is truly a gratifying and amazing one. The role of giving labor support is unique. Whether you are her husband, partner, lover or friend, your presence at the baby's birth will be long remembered.

Providing Loving Support
You will want to give the mother reassurance and inspire confidence along the way. Your support will help to reduce fear and tension. Sharing this experience together, and being sensitive to her needs will positively impact the birth.

By taking childbirth classes together and practicing the techniques learned in the class, you will find your confidence increase in your role as the labor support person. You will become knowledgeable with what best soothes and relaxes her. You will soon have a clearer understanding of what her priorities or desires might be for the birth. Anticipating her needs and working with her throughout labor will help make this a most wonderful experience.

Helpful Phrases
Many labor support persons find it difficult to think of things to say in labor without sounding repetitive. Time may pass more quickly if she hears continuous encouragement from you. The following are examples of supportive things to say while she is in labor. You can also work together to come up with some phrases you can use:

•You are doing fine - the baby is fine
•It's only a matter of seconds
•I love you
•Hang in there
•I'm so proud of you
•The contraction is building; stay focused and concentrate
•It's peaking; stick with it; it's almost over
•It's getting stronger, but you're in control
•The contraction is fading; coming down; almost over
•Keep going, you're doing great
•Picture the cervix stretching and opening
•Keep your breathing slow, relaxed and even
•It's hard, but you are doing fine

It is important that you be there and keep talking to her. You cannot repeat yourself too often, especially when it reminds her to relax and stay focused.

This chart is great! It discusses what your partner can do 3 to 4 weeks before due date (like housework. we all love when the books and people tell our guys to do housework right?!) all the way to bonding and recovery.

Tips for Helping a Laboring Woman
Labor at times can be overwhelming, and causes some women to feel like they are losing control and may make them panic. The following tips are meant to be suggestions to assist you in seeing the signs of overwhelm or panic in her so you can help:

•During labor itself, observe her carefully. When she first show signs of struggle during a contraction—such as breathing more loudly, moaning or
has restless and agitated movements—stand up and breathe with her rather than wait until she panics.
•If, however, she does lose control—perhaps a contraction comes up very sharply and suddenly, or you leave the room for a few minutes and return to find her obviously overwhelmed, do the following:
•Get in a position where she can see you, preferably standing beside her or sitting on the bed. Position yourself so you are looking her in the eye.
•Hold her hand or face to get her attention through touch. This helps her feel your presence.
•Demonstrate a slow, controlled breathing rate. Do the breathing with her, loud enough so she can follow your lead. Slow her breathing to a quiet, rhythmic pace.
•Stay with her as long as is required to help her gain control. Put on the call-light for your nurse, and ask for assistance!
•If all else fails, bring your face close to hers so she must look at you. Focus her attention. If she cannot make eye contact with you, place your hands on her cheeks and focus her attention to your eyes. Be persistent!
•Most important, do not leave her and keep yourself calm and relaxed.

Although this sounds simple, it's hard work being a coach. During practice breathing sessions, have her act as if she were losing control.

3 comments:

  1. Great advice! :) So are you going to do the classes? I think they are great for bonding! I know Andrew complained at first, but since then, he has even admitted that he is glad we did the classes. He feels a lot more confident in his role AND the knowledge he learned about the options we have, and what kind of things to expect. My friend gave him a book when I was first pregnant that he has looked at and noted a few things, but I think hands on learning works best for both of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. did you see the pictures of Andrew wearing the sympathy belly? Haha. Our first class did not do that, but the other one did, and It was worth seeing all the guys have to wear it and do things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubs definitely had more confidence after going through the classes with me. Knowledge is power! ;) I'll really be relying on my husband a lot since my plan is to have a natural, drug-free birth... but I feel like he's up to the task. Neither of us is scared about it... just excited! We can't wait to see how it all shakes out!

    ReplyDelete